Devils Lake High School Handbook-Click HERE
To empower students to be life-long learners in an ever-changing world.
ACTIVITIES DIRECTOR’S MESSAGE
Welcome to Devils Lake Public School Activities. The school district supports the activities program as a positive extra-curricular activity. We will use the following guidelines:
- Activity participants are treated as regular students. No special consideration is given for grades and assignments.
- The activities programs are conducted for the benefit of the participants with maximum concern for their safety, health, and well-being.
- Full allegiance must be given to the NDHSAA and its constitution and bylaws.
- Coaches/Advisors are employed as regular faculty members and are expected to exhaust all legitimate channels for promoting the highest level of excellence in the program.
- All involved must be mindful that participation in activities is a privilege earned by meeting certain expectations.
- It is the policy of Devils Lake High School that educational activity, employment programs, and services are offered without regard to race, national origin, sex, religion, disability or age.
Dr. Deb Follman is the contact for Section 504 and Title IX compliance. Mr. Brad Larson is the contact for ADA compliance.
In pursuance of these policies and beliefs, the activities are organized under the direction of the Activities Director, who is directly responsible to the Superintendent. Students are encouraged to participate in at least one of the activities offered by the Devils Lake Public Schools to bring added fulfillment to their school experience.
The board believes that participation in extracurricular activities constitutes a privilege and not a right. Students who participate in extracurricular activities represent the student body, school district, and community on the state and national level. As such, behavior of these students is a reflection on the entire community. The District will enforce the requirements placed on extracurricular participants by the North Dakota High School Activities Association (NDHSAA), which govern both on and off campus behavior.
The program of interscholastic activities at Devils Lake Public Schools is organized and conducted as an integral part of the total educational program of the school. The objectives of the programs must conform in every respect to the general purpose of the school.
Strong and healthy bodies, alert minds, a high sense of sportsmanship, and enjoyment should be the outcome of the activities programs at the school. For the student and alumni alike, the values include the development of a sense of pride in the total educational program, the development of tradition and school spirit, sportsmanship and loyalty.
This being the activities philosophy of the Devils Lake Public Schools, it follows that we adhere to certain principles.
- Coaches/Advisors shall meet all requirements expected of faculty members, be employed on the same salary schedules and shall abide by all the same rules and regulations and privileges pertaining to all other faculty members.
- All participants shall be afforded the utmost protection while engaged in school sponsored events both on the field and while traveling to and from the events. The participants’ general health and physical welfare must be the FIRST concern.
- Sound equipment, safe playing conditions, and channels for assuring proper training and medical attention are always available.
- No member of the staff or faculty shall feel that his/her job depends on winning or losing, although we shall strive to the utmost to give our best effort.
- Activities during school time will be kept to a minimum. Interscholastic competitions will be scheduled Fridays and Saturdays as much as possible.
- Daily limits on the maximum length of extra-curricular practice during the school year will be 150 minutes for grades 9-12 and 90 minutes for grades 7-8.
- When school is dismissed due to inclement weather, NO practice will be held.
*Please contact the Devils Lake High School Activities Office for ADA Compliant version @ 701.662.1205.